Thursday, April 06, 2006

[RP] I want to tell you a story..

The elder sat down in his chair by the fire and gathered the younglings around. They jostled for space at his feet, pressing in to hear the story about the olden days, where they had come from their families history, a ghost story or a remenixcence about the war.

(The wars, the interminable wars of the land of MMO. They leave everyone an orphan, out in the world alone, looking to avenge their parent/brother/puppy dog... but that's ANOTHER story.)

What I want to talk about tonight younglings is heritage. A shared heritage for RP characters in an MMO land.

I was visiting Qeynos the other day when business took me to see the scribe Mages Tower. While I was there I browsed through the books he had for sale and my eye was caught by one tattered volume entitled "A History of Kerra". A history of my people?

I was intrigued. I bought the volume and later, when I had time, I had a read. Here was a story, in three parts, that told of the origins of the Kerra, how they were forced out of their homelands, how some were drawn to Freeport and others to Qeynos. Some pages were missing but a previous owner had made a note that I should travel and visit some of the locations mentioned in the book...

The locations in Qeynos, well, they were familiar to me and I completed the first part of the story with no problems.

The second part of the book had me travelling to the Commonlands. I have to admit, I'd never been there before, hunting as I do around Antonica and just starting to make forays into neighbouring lands. I found some nearby Kerra and asked them how to travel to this strange and distant land....

When I arrived in the Commonlands I had to hunt and search for the locations the book mentioned. Some were easy to find, others had some aggressive creatures living nearby and I had to use my stealth skills to avoid combat. But it was a grand adventure and I learned about Kerra, Ilearned about the Commonland and I wandered right up to the gates of Freeport...

The first two stories were completed, the third had me travelling to the Rivervale, deep in the Enchanted Lands. A very risky, shady and dangerous place. I followed the direction in the book and eventually found myself in a weird hobbit town...

Battered, tired and worn I made my way home, all the way down the long road to Nettletown Hovel. Soon I was back here, younglings, right here by the fireside.

And you know what? Not only had I learned and benefitted from my travels but I was richer, yes, many of the items I acquired on my journey were snapped up by the local merchants, and I had this...

The elder turned and lifted down an impressive bound tome entitled "History of Kerra". The big Kerran face on the cover seemed to stare out at the younglings and there were at once afraid of it and yet wanted to reach out and read...

... to learn.
... to travel.
... to Adventure.


No comments: